Hey! We’re Maddy and Mauricio, and we’re so stoked that you’re here.
We’re two twenty-somethings with an unending appetite for adventure and awesome food. If you feel the same way, we’re going to be great friends.
Over the past few years, we’ve been traveling the world, meanwhile going to school and working.
We’re firm believers in the idea that anyone can travel and live a more adventurous life, so we created this website to share our tips, stories, and inspiration to help you do just that — live adventurously, whether you’re abroad or at home!
To sum us up into a paragraph: We’re all about exploring this beautiful planet and experiencing everything it has to offer. Cooking, beaching, snowboarding, hiking, and eating are a few of our favorite pastimes. We love all kinds of travel, whether it’s to a big city, a beach town, or a mountain resort. We will never turn down a delicious-smelling food truck, even if we’ve just stuffed our faces with a five-course meal. And we’re always game for any adventure. (Unless said adventure involves heights. In that case, Maddy goes it alone while Mauricio watches from the sidelines…)
Read on for our full story!
We first met each other as four-year-old kindergarteners, playing in the sandbox and riding tricycles. Even back then, Little Mauricio had a crush on Little Maddy. There was even a time where she stole his Cheetos at snack time, and he chased her all around the playground for them (unsuccessfully, of course). His friends told him to tell the teacher, but he refused. Now, if that’s not true love, we don’t know what is.
After going our separate ways after first grade, we somehow found our way back to each other in seventh grade, at a new school, and became great friends. That year, we were even each other’s first kiss.
Then two years later, when high school came around, we made new friends and drifted apart. But of course…
We made our way back to each other once more.
What was supposed to be a simple date to senior prom turned into a relationship built on a long history of friendship, trust, adventure, curiosity for the world, a drive to see more, learn more, and do more, and of course, a mutual love for all things edible.
And the rest is history.
It’s been five years since then.
In that time, we’ve endured a long-distance relationship between Southern California and New York City as we pursued our bachelor’s degrees. Every chance we got, we visited each other, or traveled overseas somewhere new and exciting. We feel extremely lucky to have grown up together, and to have explored roughly 40 countries together.
What we’re up to now
Right now, Mauricio is based in San Diego, immersed in his second of three years in law school. In his free time, he helps with the blog, and travels only during school breaks and long weekends.
On the other hand, Maddy just finished up her bachelor’s degree and lives in Orange County, working as a marketing manager. In a few months, she’ll leave her job to travel and run this blog full-time.
Thankfully, the distance between San Diego and Orange County is about an hour’s drive, so we spend more time together than apart. When we’re not traveling, you can find us studying, blogging, planning trips, trying new restaurants, hanging out at the beach, going to fun bars, or watching our favorite, Game of Thrones.
More about us…
- My list of favorite places is long: Norway, Bali, New York City, Paris, Budapest, Italy, Peru, and of course, my home in Southern California.
- I’m a Potterhead for life. I probably shouldn’t admit that I know most of the lines to every film. I’ve also devoured each book at least twice.
- I’m a fan of the finer things — red wine, bean-to-bar chocolate, good cups of tea, delicate pastries, fancy hotels, craft beer, and fine-dining experiences.
- But on the other hand, I’m also extremely down for things like hiking, camping, adventure sports, exploring gritty neighborhoods, and feasting on all kinds of street food.
- I speak Spanish, but I also speak food words in many languages — Italian, Indonesian, German, Dutch, French, etc. Which is the real accomplishment here?
- Love it or hate it, country music is my jam.
- I am a strong advocate for spending money on experiences over material things.
- I earned my degree in Strategic & Corporate Communication, which is essentially marketing and business through a communicator’s lens.
- I love to cook, which is why you’ll find delicious travel-inspired recipes all over this site!
- Snowboarding is one of my favorite pastimes and it’s something I wish I had more time for. Back in high school, I’d board almost every weekend in our local mountains.
- You’ve never seen eyes light up like mine do when the server brings food to the table.
- I’m hopelessly addictedto beeswax lip balm. Can’t stop, won’t stop.
- I have terrible eyesight and even worse allergies to dust.
- I take my In-N-Out cheeseburgers with grilled onions. Weekly (that is, when I’m home).
- My list of favorite places includes: Copenhagen, Paris, New York City, Dominican Republic, and Belize.
- I speak Spanish, as I should — I’m a first generation Mexican-American!
- I consider myself to be a taco and pizza connoisseur.
- I’ll take savory over sweet any day… (But I still love cookies.)
- For three years during college, I lived in the greatest city in the world: New York City.
- My favorite nights out include a group of close friends with craft beer and great conversation.
- I’m deathly afraid of heights. Nope.
- I am obsessed with all things basketball and I’m pretty much an encyclopedia on this subject. Go on, ask me any player’s height and weight.
- I have over 50,000 basketball cards. Not sure if this is impressive or embarrassing.
- I’ve recently turned into a coffee and craft beer enthusiast — maybe due to my new scenery?
- San Diego is home while I tackle my latest adventure: law school.
- I love the beach and wish I could go every day. (Laguna Beach is where it’s at!)
- I’m really into men’s streetwear and fashion.
- Nature documentaries on Netflix are my favorite.
- Considering that I’m 6’4″, long flights and hotel beds are rough for me.
Why we travel
We travel for so many reasons.
The first is because we can’t stop. Once the travel bug bit us, we were hooked. For life.
We also believe that traveling is the best education you can buy for yourself, and as life-long learners, we’re on a quest to see more, do more, and learn more. We’ve both been graduated from higher learning institutions, but honestly, nothing compares to the knowledge you gain about yourself, others, and the world, while traveling.
Traveling allows you a new perspective on your life, the people around you, and how other people choose to live their lives. And that’s the most important thing. Traveling turns you into a better, kinder, happier, more understanding version of yourself. It opens up your mind to a whole new way of thinking and seeing the world.
Traveling is not simply the trips you go on. Traveling is the people you meet. The moments and the laughter you share. The jitters and the discomfort you feel. The things you learn. The food you eat. The stunning landscapes you see. The cities you strut.
Traveling is not just a thing we do, it’s a lifestyle.
Traveling is everything.
And whether we’re abroad or at home, we bring the knowledge, customs, experiences, and sense of adventure along with us.
When we first started traveling
As kids, we were lucky to travel every once in a while with our families. For Mauricio, that meant visiting family in Mexico, but also taking occasional trips to the Caribbean, Central America, and Europe. And for Maddy, that meant a whole lot of Mexico travel and ski trips.
Obsessed with learning Spanish, Maddy first caught the travel bug on a (self-funded) trip to Argentina and Uruguay with her high school’s Spanish department, immersing herself in the language and seeing the incredible Iguazú Falls. After learning about the Renaissance in class, and then visiting Florence for the first time in real life, Mauricio started dreaming of a life of travel.
Our travel style
It’s hard to fit our travel style into just one category because it varies from place to place! But here’s a general overview.
Even though we’re young, we are not backpackers. Instead, we’re into luxurious travel on a budget. When we travel, we usually stay in four- or five-star hotels or vacation rentals, we always eat well, and we splurge on the experiences we can’t miss. It may seem like it would take a lot of cash to accomplish this, but our budget usually ranges anywhere between $40-200 each per day — it just depends on where we are and what we’re doing.
If you want to know how you can also travel luxuriously for less, we’re happy to tell you all of our helpful tips, tricks, and secrets. Subscribe to our newsletter below, and we’ll send you a free copy of our eBook, How to Travel Luxuriously for Less.
As far as how we pick our destinations, give us bustling cities, snow-capped mountains, quaint towns, picturesque lakes, or white-sand beaches — we don’t discriminate. Really, as long as a the place offers awesome food, interesting culture, and adventurous things to do, we’re game.
When it comes to slow versus quick travel, it also just depends. Sometimes we’ll stay in one place for a while (like when we spent one month exploring Madrid), but sometimes we move from place to place every few days to see as much of a country as possible!
Oh, and if this wasn’t abundantly clear already, much of our travels revolve around food and drink. It’s not uncommon for us to choose our next destination based solely on the buzz around its foodie scene.
Where we’ve been
At this point, we’ve lost count of how many countries we’ve visited. It must be 40-something by now! (But remember, guys, it’s really not about the quantity. It’s all about the quality of your experiences, the learning lessons you’ve had, the food you’ve eaten, the things you’ve seen, and the people you’ve met.)
If you want to know which countries we’ve been to (and also written about), head over to our homepage and take a look at the world map!
Where we’re heading next
We have so many exciting adventures coming up in 2018.
As of now, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam are on the agenda!
How we afford to travel
We receive this question so often, that we figured we couldn’t neglect to answer it here.
But first of all, let’s set one thing straight. No, we aren’t trust fund babies.
Really, we’re just a couple with an extreme passion to see the world and the drive to actually make it happen.
Despite the fact that we’ve always been full-time students, we’ve also always worked one, two, or even three gigs each to fund our trips.
We’ve also become masters at prioritizing traveling, cutting costs anywhere possible, and planning trips smartly and efficiently.
If you want to travel more but don’t know how to afford it, then we have just the thing for you! Subscribe to our newsletter below, and we’ll send you our eBook, 35 Strategies to Build Up Your Travel Fund, for free!
The business of blogging
In 2014, we started this blog on a whim and had absolutely no idea where it would take us. But looking back on it, we can truthfully say that starting our blog was the best decision we’ve ever made.
Nowadays, our blog is a source of help and inspiration for millions of people around the world. We couldn’t be prouder of the fact that we were able to turn our passion into something that not only changes peoples’ lives for the better, but also that supports us financially.
There really isn’t anything better than that.
If you’re interested in starting your own travel blog, then we can help you! We created a free 7-day email course called How to Start a Successful Travel Blog, just for you.
In the course, we’ll cover the basics of:
- Why it’s beneficial to start your own blog
- How to develop your blog’s name, niche, and brand
- How to actually start your blog (all of the technical stuff)
- How to build your audience and traffic
- How to turn your blog into a profitable business
If you want to join the free course, simply click below!
Again, thanks for being here!
We couldn’t be more excited to share our adventures and insights with you.
If you’re new to our blog, make sure to stop by our Start Here Page, so that you can learn more about what our blog is about and find our best resources!
Maddy & Mauricio